Username: Password: Remember me
HAAS Misc Discussion
  • Page:

TOPIC: What are you?

What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61611

• Jackd
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 286
As the club membership ebbs and tides, I know there are a lot of people who I do not know and have not talked let alone visited their fish tanks. So that begs the question, " what are you?"

Fish Keeper, Fish Collector, or Fish Breeder?

If you are a Fish Breeder, what types of fish are you currently breeding? What is the last fish species you spawned and raised? What is your next targeted fish to spawn?

Are you a beginner, been at it at least 5 years, been at it 10 years to life?

Do you maintain a tank, a few tanks (3 or 4), several tanks (8 to 12) or just crazy out of control with 15 to 100 tanks?

Do you fiddle with plants or are you more into the fish?

Do you do just fresh or are you kind of salty too?

Which is better African or Central/South American? Egg layers or livebearers?

Does your significant other participate in the hobby (buys fish and has own tanks), enjoys your participation in the hobby, or it water of the duck's back to them?

Do you know who Herbert R. Axelrod is (without googling his name)?

If you were gifted $ 1000 how much would be spent on your hobby?

Thanks, Jack
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61612

• Jackd
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 286
Fish Breeder
CA/SA, livebearers. Super Red Severums. Freshwater shrimp and some kind of loach
Life sentence
Crazy out of control
Plants too
Salty too
CA/SA
Enjoys
Yes I know and have seen in person.
$ 1500
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Jackd.

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61619

• kimbo
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 109
Collector dabbling in breeding
Angels /discus /fw shrimp/ bn pleco/cories/cardinal tetras/rummy nose/swordtail platys/ and a couple tanks with random cichlids/convict cichlids that breed like guppies/3 clown loaches
Both of us are into it and we have 17 tanks...if jack would buy the crayfish we would have 16, temporally because you can not have an empty tank!
I like plants but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I'm planning on starting one soon in the 65 bowfront.
I used top be anti salt but I think it would be fun to have some shrimp and star fish.
H Axelrod published the fish Bible lol
Every single penny would go for an excellent breeding pair of Dark angel discus!

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61621

• pmcarbrey
  • Dwarf Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 19
Great thread idea!
Collector/breeder
I am currently breeding bristlenose and gardneri killis the last fish I successfully spawned were guppies, and before that long fin bristlenose. My next targeted spawn is my killis and whatever rainbows I end up buying (oh and cardinal shrimp!)
I'm a beginner, only been in the hobby a year or two
Right now I only have a few tanks
I fiddle with plants as much if not more than I do fish
Just fresh
Central/south American
Nope, single right now, last one tolerated it for a year though with no complaints
I recognize the name but am slow to recall any more than that
$1000 would get me some very nice fish :P

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61631

• mofunnyfarm
  • Lifetime Member
  • Thank you received: 68
More than asked for.
Fish Collector/breeder
My health has kept me from doing the breeding I want to. I am way behind on water changes. I am working slowly to rectify that problem.
Been at it too many years to count. I started in the late 60's. There have been a few breaks.
I have about 70 tanks set up, most with water. I am going to scale back. I would like to get to someplace around 30. All of my tanks are understocked.
Fish mostly and if I have any plants, it is spite of what I do. I do dabble in low light plants.
Freshwater only.
If it swims and doesn't get over 5 inches long, I might keep it. No discus or fish that require soft water. The fish I keep have to survive and thrive in my water. I currently have only two tank busters and they are small. One bunch will be moved on and I plan on breeding the other.
When I got married, I had 100 tanks and we moved them twice. She doesn't mind me keeping fish. I now have less than when we got married. We are not moving so no more moving. Her only concern is what to do with the fish if something happens to me. My wife is too busy to get involved with the fish. She enjoys them, but doesn't care about participating in the hobby.
Of course I know more about Axelrod than I want too. Wm. Innes, who really is the 1st well known name in the hobby. Another name that is important to the hobby is Albert Klee who wrote a book on the aquarium history (Toy Fishes)also was the editor the The Aquarium Magazine at one time.I even have a letter from Guy Jordon(ACA founder). All of these are important people in the history of the hobby.
I would not spend anything on the hobby. Too many medical bills, so I would use it to pay bills. Being debt free is the best way to free up money to spend on the the hobby.
Walter

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61640

• in2cichilds
  • Big Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 26
I am a keeper/hoarder starting to get into the breeding part of fish keeping. Mostly into plecos have too many to list. Fish I love my Winemilleri and red head tapajos and mobas. I am in the process of trying to breed super red severums have 2 pairs I belive both have spawned then I have a group of 10 zebra plecos hopefully they will reproduce for me some day. Also breed long fin brown/albino bristle nose plecos. Going to start breeding my Cory collection which is is sterbi ,pandas,jullis too. And with all them trying to breed my 2 types geos,my red heads I have breed before. And lastly if all goes right today I will have my group of L183 starlight plecos come in so they can go on my résume too :) only have about 700gallons going right now with more to come in the future. Also have a planted tank going as well haven't quite mastered it yet but it will come soon hopefully
You can never have to many tanks!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by in2cichilds.

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61641

• AlwaysBlonde
  • Betta
  • Thank you received: 12
Fish Keeper, Fish Collector, and Fish Breeder (trying)

Currently breeding OB Peacocks, Yellow labs, German Reds, Super German Reds, cherry shrimp, and yellow neo shrimp successfully.. Soon(not so soon) to come EBJD's and OEBT's (super excited for these guys!).... (: most recent ones are the yellow labs.. and I have cherry shrimp and yellow neo shrimp holding eggs! Next targets are Orange Eyed Blue Tiger shrimp, Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, and a long long long term goal is Frontosa..

I am a beginner....... but I like to think I know a tad more than a new newbie... thanks to all of you guys (:

I am crazy out of control against my mothers (tottmers) will... with a TINY number of tanks... (20 tanks/455 gallons wet)

I have many planted tanks I enjoy both the fish and the plants.. but I absolutely love LOVE shrimp tanks.. (:

I am a fresh water person... for now.. might dabble in the brackish.. not brave enough to try salt just yet.

All fish are amazing (: but I am leaning towards the invertebrates lately....

Well... My mother likes the fish too... she has a few of her own tanks.. and she is addicted to finding the best deal on aquabid... even if we dont have room for them... (we always make room with new tanks!)

I cannot say that I do know who that is... (I am a youngin...)

Way more than was given... (: It's an addiction...

Megan
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by AlwaysBlonde.

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61642

• Silock
  • Betta
  • Thank you received: 8
Keeper/Breeder
Bred platys, currently breeding shrimp. Going to try to spawn galaxy rasboras or white clouds soon..

Been at it off and on for ten years, but never really knew what I was doing until the last year or so.

5 tanks

Plants for life!

Just fresh. Can't afford salt.

African. Live bearers.

She hates it, except when it looks cool and then she brags about it as if she did ANYTHING lol

No idea who that is.

Probably not much.

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61645

• The Grinch
  • Big Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 79
Recovering breeder, 2 years clean
Most recently, galaxy danio
15 years and counting
6 tanks up and running, 4 empty (just in case)... 2 are 'mine', 4 are 'hers'
Live plants keep the algae away!
Ran a petco saltwater system for 18 months, but don't keep them myself
I'm a softy for neotropical cichlids and plecos
She's got the itis
Know the name, couldn't place where I knew it from without google
1/3 or so

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61650

• MOPleco
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 130
Fish Keeper / Collector

Been at it off and on since I was a teenager.

currently maintaining 15 tanks

mostly fish , plants are just decor to me.

no salt tanks presently.

tank busters...all types.

significant other ? :pinch: my dog barely tolerates me ,my children think I'm crazy and my grandchildren think I'm related to Poseidon. :dry:

read one or two of his books

1000.00 at least , have the fish in mind :whistle:

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61652

• Rodger
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 137
Jackd wrote:

Strictly a keeper currently, although have a sword fish colony going (thanks Jack)

Changes like the wind

Does your significant other participate in the hobby (buys fish and has own tanks), enjoys your participation in the hobby, or it water of the duck's back to them?
She is starting to get into it. She has her "own" tank now.

Isn't he in prison, for what will be a life sentence?

Half for me, half for Katie. Where does one find this gift you speak about?

Thanks, Jack

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61657

• The Grinch
  • Big Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 79
This is an interview with lady-grinch, who gave me her answers in between complaining about one of her students... I find it interesting that her first instinct was not to tell people how many tanks she has! :laugh:
+++++++++

Fish Keeper

Accidentally spawned festivums a few weeks ago

5 years

few tanks

fiddler... both terrestrial and aquatic

just fresh :( I want salty inverts :S

1 of each please

He infected me and it's a vicious cycle of him not talking me down at the fish store... he feeds my illness

No

Depends on what's at the store the next time we go

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61658

• slimbolen99
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 164
Cool thread idea Jack.

All three? I consider myself a naturalist

If you are a Fish Breeder, what types of fish are you currently breeding? What is the last fish species you spawned and raised? What is your next targeted fish to spawn?
Hmmm, I guess Tilapia bythobates? I have eggs or fry in all my main tanks most of the time.

Over 20 years; trying to find an old picture of my garage setup when I was a kid.

Do you maintain a tank, a few tanks (3 or 4), several tanks (8 to 12) or just crazy out of control with 15 to 100 tanks?
Sixteen 75 gallons. Just sold all my 10s!

I'm a fiddler. If a plant doesn't die, I consider it a success story.

Fresh only. Salt is too expensive!!!

All of them! As long as they're not hybrids! :sick:

No way. She only lets me keep them because it gives her a couple hours break once a week. :)

YES! Read many of his books!

None of it. I'd put it in the bank and use the .0000045% interest to buy a neon tetra in a year.

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61662

• Jedal
  • Big Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 1
Not really a collector, in that I don't care about a fish's rarity. Although right now, more of a empty tank collector.

Last success was P bridgesi.. Apple snails. My son has a molly tank, that's what will probably happen next. I would like to try yellow tail acei again. I'm still haunted by bad memories of cooked fish from the stealth heater recall.

On and off most of my life.

Just a few now, but crazy out of control is coming with the fish room.

Are you kiddin? I get so sidetracked on the plants I sometimes realize a tank has no fish in it at all.

Salt is for rich farts

Inverts and anything that eats algae followed by anything small and colorful. I have a soft spot for betta and other anabantoids.

Rigt now, the driving force is my three year old. The missus is into tank busters, so we keep her enthusiasm caged.

Ok I googled it... And realized I own one. I'm terrible with that kind of trivia.

Nah, I cobble stuff together, and when the plants are growing good pay for the hobby that way.

Re: What are you? 1 year 2 months ago #61666

• jive
  • Betta
  • Thank you received: 8
fish keeper wanting to be collector

always a beginner , always something new to learn.

have 2 tanks with a third in the works

into the fish, but has fiddle with plants

fresh <---- to poor for salt

like them all

I cant even get her to go to the pet store with me

umm who? whats google lol

get my 3rd tank going, and start a couple more
Bet you can't stop with just one tank.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds