Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Plants

TOPIC: Amazon Sword propagation?

Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18349

• kcHarley
  • Dwarf Cichlid
Some months ago I put a small potted Amazon Sword (yes I did remove the pot and rockwool :) ) in my medium light, pressurized CO2 tank. It has done incredibly well. Its leaves are 18" or more long. I prune 3 to 10 leaves a week and a new leaf grows to full height four days or less.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed an unusual stem. It is round (unlike the leaf stems which are flatter) and was about a foot long by the time I noticed it. It clearly wasn't and isn't a leaf. It has continued to grow and now is about two feet long. At first I wondered if it was trying to flower but I was under the impression that Swords don't flower.

In the last two days clusters of leaves are starting to form at two points on this stem. It looks like it is propagating but I thought Swords propagated by root runners.

Am I right that it's propagating? If so, how long do I let the clusters grow before I remove and plant them. (If they turn out anything like the parent, I am going to have mulitple large swords to sell, give or throw away. Thanks in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18353

• Woo
  • Big Cichlid
I think it depends on which Sword you have, I have one of the larger ones that sends out shoots and little swordlets as I call them grow on the runner, you can either place small stones over the runner to hold it down until they get enough of a root to hold themselves in the substrate or cut them off and place them elsewhere.

Steve/Woo

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18395

• kcHarley
  • Dwarf Cichlid
Thanks Woo. That confirms what I found on the web yesterday. It appears that if I wait until the leaf clusters start growing roots, I should be able to remove and plant them without breaking the stalk. Apparently the stalk will then produce more plants.

This is great rationalization to buy another bigger tank. :laugh:

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18402

• Woo
  • Big Cichlid
Most definitely ... more tanks ... more tanks ... always need more tanks!

Steve/Woo

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18452

• Jedal
  • Big Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 1
I prefer to leave the plantlets on until they've all grown to pretty good sized plants. I think they grow larger faster, if for no other reason than they can extract co2 directly from the atmosphere while they're floating. You also don't have to worry about damaging the stalk. They can hold on the stalk pretty tenaciously, and I've more than once pretty well destroyed it when removing them.
I have stalks that sprouted in the spring, and they're laden with plantlets. I'm just now thinking its time to remove some. I may try to post a pic so you can see how bad it gets. :)

There are two problems I see with leaving them on longer. It gets unsightly. It also robs a little more nutrients from the mother plant, but hey.. she can handle it.

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18460

• jargonchipmunk
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 9
Snip the buggers off when they have a few roots. Use very sharp scissors, cut at an angle, and leave as little "runner" as possible. At the speed the mother grew in your tank, I doubt the babies would have any issue getting up to speed. If you're truly worried, you can always push the runners down into the substrate, leaving the "stalk" in tact between the two.

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18464

• bayboy9
  • Betta
I have found you can just peel the babies off the stack once they have a couple of inches of roots. Then they will stay in the substrate. I have two different types of sword plants that multiple like crazy after the first time of shooting stalks up.

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18466

• kcHarley
  • Dwarf Cichlid
Hi all. Thanks for the advice. The stalk and plantlets were growing so fast I decided to cut the stalk after the first plantlet. The leaves on that one are easily 6" and it just started throwing its first root.

What I cut off contained two plantlets with leaves from 4" to 6" long and two more stalks coming off it with one small plantlet each. Sheesh, this thing has become the amazing growing blob. :laugh: The stalk itself had dead-ended by pushing out of the water and browning off.

I thinned out the tank a bit, removing most of my Mexican Oak and a Kleiner sword. I've planted the two plantlets. Hopefully they will survive.

Thanks again for the help.

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18472

• jargonchipmunk
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Tank Buster
pictures! :-)

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18502

• kcHarley
  • Dwarf Cichlid
Please excuse my poor photo skills.

An older shot of the tank and stand before I pulled the gravel, added some more ADA AS and capped it with sand
i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/MotorcycleDad/IMG_4535a.jpg

Shot last night. Hope you can see the stalk and plantlet in front of the root. One plantlet is planted in front of the root.
i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/MotorcycleDad/IMG_5293.jpg

Side shot. Another plantlet is in the lower right corner. My half-blacks came out to show off. They ususally hide in the back.
i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/MotorcycleDad/IMG_5287.jpg

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18510

• jargonchipmunk
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Tank Buster
GREEEEEN! :-)

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18544

• Jedal
  • Big Cichlid
I like it!

Re:Amazon Sword propagation? 4 years 7 months ago #18582

• kcHarley
  • Dwarf Cichlid
Thanks for the compliments. My poor photo skills don't do the tank justice. The water really is crystal clear.

The two plantlets I cut seem to be surviving, at least no wilted leaves yet. Hopefully they will get past he transplant shock before the auction.

Thanks again for the help.
Moderators: Dutch
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds