Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Livebearers, Tetras, Barbs, Bettas, & Everything Else

TOPIC: Betta compatible fish

Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53268

• rickytan
  • Betta
  • Thank you received: 7
Ok guys, I am looking for some suggestions to add to my small tank. I have 6gal eclipse thank, and in it I have a red platy, and a male Betta. They were fine until a couple days ago when I changed the decor a little, and now the betta is attacking the play. Luckily I have another tank I can put the platy in.

Now I'm wondering what I might put in with the Betta. I know only one more fish or so, so I don't overcrowd. The tank has been up for about 2 years now, so it's pretty established.

I was thinking maybe an african dwarf frog, but would really like something a little more colorful and active. Am I kind of S.O.L.?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53269

• hagerman
  • Betta
  • Harder than I thought
  • Thank you received: 5
In my personal experience, something colorful and active works out well with a male Betta, they typically view it as a threat. Cories typically go well with Male Bettas, and I've heard of people putting guppies in as well with success, since they stay small.

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53270

• daffyfish
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Big Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 87
Never had any luck putting any fish, with long tails, in the same tank as a Betta. Six gallons doesn't leave much room for another fish to have it's own space. Depending on the decor, you could try some fast tetras? I have some glofish, a couple of cories and emperor Tetras with a male Betta. But, that is in a twenty gallon.

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53273

• betelgeuse
  • Fry
  • Thank you received: 2
I have 10 green neon tetra in a nine gallon tank with a male betta. They stay smaller than standard neons,but a more predatory betta could probably eat them. 3-5 small tetra, like glolights, green fire, common neons, or white cloud minnow would go well. Just make sure you have enough decorations to break line of sight. One fish makes an easy target for an aggressive fish; several little fish are confusing. Obviously, the more fish you have, the larger and more frequent the water changes should be.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by betelgeuse.

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53274

• rickytan
  • Betta
Ya, I was thinking some small tetra but it's not really a big enough to have more than at max, a couple, and I know they are schooling fish so was going to shy away from that route. Seems that might be an option I might need to consider though.
I do have a betta bowl I acquired somewhere along the way, I haven't ever used it though, it just seems cruel to put a fish in that small of a container..

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53283

• MOPleco
  • Tank Buster
  • Thank you received: 130
rickytan wrote:
Ya, I was thinking some small tetra but it's not really a big enough to have more than at max, a couple, and I know they are schooling fish so was going to shy away from that route. Seems that might be an option I might need to consider though.
I do have a betta bowl I acquired somewhere along the way, I haven't ever used it though, it just seems cruel to put a fish in that small of a container..

Put the betta in the 55 and a school of small tetras ( maybe the neons from the 55) in the smaller tank?

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53285

• Silock
  • Betta
  • Thank you received: 8
Fish I've had with my betta:

Clown loach
Rhino Pleco
Green Neon Tetra
Cherry Barb
White Cloud
Red Pencilfish
Galaxy Rasbora
Otocinclus

Maybe I just have a chill Betta, but I try to avoid anything with a flowing fin and it seems to have worked out well.

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53293

• Joeyapowers
  • Dwarf Cichlid
  • Thank you received: 5
We have never had a problem with our bettas with other fish (Male or female betta) our male was actually living in a 10 gallon with about 20 male guppies and you know how annoying male guppies can be >.>. Any small fish should be fine and I'm actually surprised at the aggression towards a molly. Probably just trying to reestablish territory and you may be able to reintroduce once the betta gets settled.

We have had betta's with:
kholi loaches, albino red zebra, mollies, tetras (cardinal and glow), Rams, Swordtails, Cories, Plecos,and goldfish.

Re: Betta compatible fish 1 year 8 months ago #53353

• rickytan
  • Betta
Ya, I did just change the decor in the tank. Maybe he's just mad. I know before there was a tall rock that broke the line of sight up more.

Mopleco- that might be a good idea to have a small school in there. How many do you think a 6 gal tank can handle? I know standard rule 1" per gallon, but I know you can get away with more than that usually with neons. The tank its self has been up for about 2 years now.
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds